Saturday, December 13, 2008

Drawing Lesson 1

OK, children! Let's have some fun!
Go, turn on your music. Maybe grab something to drink or snack on...Then, get those pencils and erasers ready to make imperfect artwork...You'll notice that my lines are uneven, my corners aren't straight, and it doesn't matter! Jump in with a fun-loving attitude and love yourself for doing something different.
I chose to start with hands, because they are an unusual subject for many. Hands are an interesting addition to your art journal pages, and can be used for many visual projects.
Besides, in the previous post, I told you I was going to hold your hand through this, did I not? :-)
Let's see what we create today, shall we?
Begin by drawing a squarish rectangle on the lower half of your paper. Notice that mine is not a perfect square or a perfect rectangle. The lines don't meet, and I'm not worried about it. Neither should you! {I'm drawing the new lines in the next photo in blue, and the previous lines will be in pencil. Yours will be in pencil, of course, because we'll need to do some erasing at the end.}
Now, we're going to add two lines slanting inward. Then, close that space with a horizontal line. {Previous lines in pencil; new lines in blue, right?}

Next, we'll add two lines traveling to the bottom of the paper. These lines flare out just a bit, like soft-flaring blue jeans or pants.

Then, add a triangle, or a backwards seven, to the side. You'll be happier if it stops about halfway up. This is a sketch, so we're not going to worry about the "P" word, right? I knew you could do it.
Now, add a block on top of the triangle. Let the outside line go straight up, and let the inside line slant away from the square. Now, it's starting to look like a hand...
Next, we're going to divide the top of the square in half with a small mark. Then, we'll divide the two spaces in half again. That's three marks total, as above. This helps us draw the fingers. Take your time...
OK, take a sip of your fave beverage, and let's talk about fingers. There are three sections. (Look at your hand for verification of this; I'm not making this stuff up, ya know... :-)

If you bend your fingers down to the first section from the palm, which is the longest? The next to the longest? The third? And, of course, pinky...

So, we're going to draw that first section by adding blocks. The blocks need to be slightly tapered as they go up, OK? The middle one is the tallest, the pointer is next, the ring-finger is next, and pinky makes four.
Thumbelina needs to be slightly turned, so the outside is straight, and the inside is curved. (Again, check out your own hand :-)


You can do this. And, you have a precious little eraser. Don't hurt his feelings by ignoring him. I give mine lots of usage. :-)


Well, Thumbelina is done, so let's add another section to the fabulous four, shall we? And, let's keep the same height differences, OK?

Now, on top of those, we're going to add upside down U's. So, you will have two rows of blocks, and one final top that's curved. The heights still apply.


How's it looking? Do you need to make adjustments now that you can see what you're doing? Go right ahead, and make those adjustments now...

What's this? Don't panic. It's your drawing. Just erase all the inside lines until you have nothing left but the outline, and you'll have this in front of you, too.


Now, add some oval finger nails. Put the thumb nail on the outside, because she's turned slightly, remember? Add two or three light lines for wrinkles at the knuckles, and wrinkles at the joining of the thumb and the back of the hand. Add some little slanted lines at the bottom of the former blocks, where the fingers join the hand. I added a bit of shading to the sides of the wrist and the sides of the fingers to give them a 3-D look.

You have now drawn a hand in one position. How do you feel about achieving that today?
We may draw hands in other positions, if you're interested. So, what do you think of your new drawing?
I know: You didn't draw it; you just read through the post, without drawing it. Now, go back and do it. Well, go ahead. This is your life. Enjoy it, my friend.
When you do draw it, draw another one to get really good at it, then cut it out and use it in your journal, or sketchbook. Collage stuff in your hand. Chop off three fingers, and let it point to something! Write silly things around it, like "gimme a hand" or "I wanna hold your hand". Have fun!
Please post questions, achievements, and opinions below. I'll answer below, or in a new post.
Love & Laughter,
DJ

13 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks DJ - that was relatively easy and what a good idea to give me a bit of confidence - I certainly need it.

Susan Hosken said...

DJ, Words cannot express how thrilled I am you are doing this course in drawing. I already love the first lesson and am heading off to do some play with hand drawings, collage and general play.
How often will you be giving lessons? How often will I check your blog in other words?
Thanks so much
lots of love from susan in australia (CCS)

DJ said...

So glad you enjoyed it, ladies! Let me know if it was too simple, or too difficult. I don't want to insult anyone's abilities, but don't want to discourage beginners, either. Might have to offer some difficult, and a few easier subjects, as well. Feel free to make suggestions, my friends.
Susan, as for frequency, I'll see how my schedule goes during December. Because I draw, photograph, save, and upload the pics, it takes a couple of hours to post a lesson. I'm thinking Saturday lessons, right now, with general posts during the week.

Robyn said...

DJ, that was a perfect lesson. You take the stress out of learning to draw. Tiny hands in small sketches have always been my problem so now I will try this method small scale. Please don't change anything about your drawing lessons. I like the fun you bring into it.

suki.luvs.u said...

This is great DJ! I'll follow along and post what I do when I can. Thank you for your generosity!
Lotus

Lin52 said...

I have to hold my hand up ashamedly as one of those who read through the directions before picking up a pencil, coward that I am. But I think I can do this- thanks DJ! Maybe I won't quake in my boots so badly next time...

DJ said...

Robyn, I think YOU bring the fun to it! :-)
suki luvs u, Thanks for stopping by. I visited your blog, so keep posting!
Lin52, I don't think there's anything that really could scare you. You're courageous everyday, aren't you?
Love & Laughter to All

valonia said...

I did it! I did it! I drew a hand!!

Sorry, I got a bit excited.

Thank you for such a fun and easy to follow lesson :)

x V.

DJ said...

Valonia, I'm so excited for you!!!!
Don't ever apologize for getting excited around me...lol! I want everyone to feel that sense of accomplishment and confidence. Please check back for more.

(I'll be visiting the awesome blogs of friends who leave comments, too!)

Jo Horswill said...

DJ...I have been life drawing for years...hands and faces, definately not my forte!!! No one has ever explained the "hand drawing process" as wonderfully as you! Thankyou...I will give it a go!

DJ said...

Jo, Let me know how your sketching goes for you.
I'm actually thinking of doing some portrait lessons later, so visit again soon.
Sincere thanks for stopping by...

Jean said...

Merry Christmas DJ! I just drew a pretty good hand! Thanks for giving me a hand with it :)
You give excellent instructions, and make it very easy. I do hope that you give us some lessons in different hand positions! Thank you again, DJ!

DJ said...

Different hand positions coming up soon, Jean!
Love & Laughter