Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Inspiration is Never Far Away

Tuesday was a lovely day, after taking Monday to recuperate from all the weekend holiday fanfare. In the evening, it was mild enough to go outside with camera in hand to see what I could find of interest.

I found the plant below blooming much too early due to the milder temperatures, and I dread the loss of its tiny flowers to coming frosts in February. Someone told me it is called "Breath of Spring" and it smells sweet like honeysuckle. I usually snip some branches & bring them inside to scent the house.

The nandinas that previous owners planted always provide color in my backyard.


There are precious green shoots of Snowdrops rising beside my back door at the base of a Dogwood tree.

This is one of three abandoned feral kittens that have taken up residence in my back yard.
The fact that I've been feeding them has nothing to do with their presence, I'm sure--
Ahem...

Of course, I'm not at all attached to them, or anything...but, if you're wondering, um--her name is Alex. :-)

After feeling inspired by my backyard foray, here's how dinner was started...I've been craving mashed potatoes during the fall months. Guess those root veggies stick to the ribs for hibernation.

Red Bell Peppers added some color to the potatoes and fish that a friend's husband caught and filleted earlier.

Here's the results, with green peas, mashed potatoes, and baked fish on colorful Fiestaware. Sorry the pic is blurry, but had to snap it before taking it to my cute husband. We enjoyed the lowfat meal after all the richness of the holiday feasts.
Hope your week is inspirational, and you find even more inspiration in 2009.
Love & Laughter,
DJ

6 comments:

steviewren said...

I bought a bag of potatoes recently myself. I'm in the mood for mashed potatoes too. They are so comforting.

PJ's talking2.... said...

So glad you're not attached to the kitten, named it just out of boredom. Now I'm hungry. Love the red bell pepper! Aren't we funny? We even want our food to be colorful. ~PJ

DJ said...

Stevie~ There's nothing like comfort food on a cold winter's night. Usually something from childhood to remind us of a safe feeling.
PJ~ Someone on Coach Creative Space coined the artistic version for ADD: Artistic Distraction Disorder. We all agreed that, especially in the company of non-artistic types, we could be distracted by anything that catches our eye. :-)

An Evolving Artist @ Swallowcliffs said...

DJ-Great blog! Love your new years menu and photos. I am jealous you have things blooming, for pete's sake it is 22 here right now and that is a WARM up! Thanks for caring for the orphan kittens! The drawing lessons are terrific, I especially like your pencil and blue system! I will be back for sure!
Carol@Swallowcliffs

Robyn said...

I'm fascinated by the Nandina. That splash of red is amazing.

Christie said...

Lovely and inspiring blog - thank you for inviting me!