Friday, April 10, 2009

I'm a Survivor

Hello friends, to those lovely readers who thought I'd deserted my hangout here, and to those of you precious seekers who have just now stumbled upon this blog-baby by accident.
I'm DJ and I've been busy with "Life" in myriad ways lately!
I've survived various stressors including a twice-hospitalized grandchild, emergency spinal surgery on my pet, 16 hour workdays, and long-time colleagues losing their jobs.
Honey, am I glad to see Spring!
The least I can do for you, beloved readers, is to return here and share photos of recent work.
Please leave a quick comment, so I'll live to blog another day. :-)
The first is an abstract oil on 24x32" mansonite that began with questionable results. I lived with it on my easel for weeks, trying to decide if it was complete. One evening, I threw caution to the wind, and boldly began applying colors and white in a drybrush technique. I felt the painting come to life and I now enjoy the whimsical results. Title: "From Ugly to Painting with White on the Mountain" :-) The next one is an even freer attempt at applying oil to 24x32" masonite, entitled "Jungle Fire".
This is an acrylic on 17x20" mat board inspired by an oil pastel sketch. The original idea has yet to be realized, so I'm smelling a series. Title: "Buildings I"
This is my most recent oil on canvas, 18x24" with a long story behind it. Long story short, it represents rising from the ashes of my recent life-stressors to begin again. Title? "Isaiah 40:31" of course :-) All observations, negative & positive, welcome. Please leave a comment below so I can return the favor. Love & Laughter, DJ

10 comments:

Jean said...

Welcome Back DJ and Happy Spring! Thank you for sharing the photos of your new paintings. I love your willingness to use so many colors! I think the "White Mountain" was my favorite because it reminded me of picking fresh cherries in an orchard!! Yum!!

I hope life slows down for you (or at least promises to bring you many reasons to laugh and smile!)

Jean :)

Say It In Color said...

Yes, welcome back to blogging.....I have really enjoyed your past posts and look forward to more. I wouldn't remember how to do eyes if it wasn't for your blog! What a vibrant style you have.....I love it.....I've never been so bold and hope to get bolder. I love the Isaiah one.....and thanks for your kind comment....I'm glad my sharing helped you in some way, and I certainly pray you your grandchild is okay and your puppy.....
....Blessings! sherry

PJ's talking... said...

So glad you're back with us! You were missed. Love the new paintings. Great color, of coarse. Can't wait to see more. :) PJ

katie jane said...

Hi DJ, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your nice comment. I love your artwork, especially the last one on this post. I will be back to read more later.

violette said...

Hey DJ.......i'm really loving the angel with the heart........such a free spirit!

Love, Violette

Shayla said...

Oh yes, DJ. That is a beautiful verse! Maybe I'll try to make a painting about it too.

Especially love the first painting. It's very free, and a satisfying composition.

lila said...

keep painting (when you can!) I like your latest abstract a lot!

Robyn said...

I didn't notice you tiptoeing past to your blog....so glad I decided to check up on you.
DJ you are on a roll with all these paintings. Wow! Love the first one particularly.
Sorry you've had so much stress and hoping grandbaby is out of the woods.

3rdEyeMuse said...

I've enjoyed coming over and checking things out ... but especially like "Isaiah 40:31" - the subject and colors ... brilliant.

Melikamay said...

I am very uneducated about art, but I do have to say that your Isaiah 40:31 painting is beautiful. Thank you for sharing that, as well as a piece of your story, with me. Aloha.