Thursday, August 13, 2009

Driven to Distraction or Abstraction?


Bless the Rains in Africa 28x40 Oil on Canvas by DJ
Color Chart Shadows 14x11 Oil on Canvas by DJ

Green Lake Memories 14x11 Oil on Canvas by DJ

Limestone Mountains Two Panels of 11x14 Oil on Canvas by DJ

After having been out of the studio for several weeks due to the Honduras trip and the recovery afterwards, I jumped into some oils with both feet -um, hands - this past Saturday, August 8th.
(And yes, I'll post regarding the trip, as soon as I get some pics to accompany the stories. The experience was awesome, as you can imagine.)
Above are five paintings I threw onto canvas with palette knife, fingers, and a few brushes. The Limestone Mountains are actually two canvases that I stacked on the easel, and worked on simultaneously as one. They also work side by side.
Any of these may get worked over eventually...more gutting it out, as below.
Feedback, please. Negative & positive comments welcome.
Below.
Yeah. I'm talking to you. :-)
Love & Laughter,
DJ

10 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

They're all lovely but I'm going straight for my favourite, Green Lake Memories. Very lush. It reminds me so much of a lake a few miles from us, surrounded by forests. I'm thinking damp moss and the smell of pine needles.
Looking forward to hearing about your trip DJ.

Gary Heller said...

Lovely and definelty abstracttion.
I alos am fond of Green Lake memories. the illuminous glow of the green at the top and the overall composition sits very well.

Melikamay said...

Green Lake Memories is just breathtaking! I sat and stared for awhile. You know I don't speak "art" (It compares to me describing wine as yummy), but the swirls of green are so captivating. This is a beautiful painting. It must have felt so nice to get back in the studio! Aloha*

Wendy said...

I love, love, LOVE the Africa painting! An unusual color combination. Pink is one of my favorite colors - her, it looks sophisticated - very pleasantly different. Feels like a place I'd like to slide right into. Green Lake...ohhh, the swirls. Just beautiful.

Matt DeFore said...

Love the effect you created with the glow in Green Lake Memories.

Also, noted your recent mission trip....Acts 1:8

DJ said...

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
Acts 1:8
Thanks, Matt

MHH said...

Hi DJ! Just "checking up" on what you've been doing. Oil paints with fingers? I love that idea...I haven't touched an oil paint in a long time. Painting with my fingers sure sounds soothing.

Love what you do. Good on you, girl!

XO
Mary

MHH said...

Me again...

MHH is Mary Hicks, FYI. XO

cindy said...

Love the Green Lake Memories!

-c
yapping cat

leanne pizio said...

Though they are all striking, I am going to jump on the Green Lake Memories band wagon. It is really beautiful with it's different textures and movement. Stunning.