Saturday, January 30, 2010

Consider Humble Materials

I was checking out Jo Horswill's always inspiring blog "My Story" and was reminded of the fact that ordinary household materials can bring beauty into being. I then visited Odd Chick's amazingly creative blog "Passions of an Odd Chick" and read about her desire to create her computer-patterned background by hand. The two seemed related in my simple mind, since I use styrofoam blocks for printmaking in my classroom. So I played with some styrofoam blocks and oil paint on this icy Saturday afternoon.
I'm not pleased enough with my photos of the painting to share it here, but, as my life goes, the blocks look better than my painting!

I don't know what I think of the painting, yet. It has an amateurish quality that I'm trying to leave behind. Unsuccessfully!
But, at least I got my hands messy, so it was not a wasted Saturday afternoon.
Thanks to Jo and OddChick for the inspiration. Hugs & Hairsmooches.
OK, people...Use what you have to create. Make yourself happy. Make stuff. Now.
Love & Laughter,
DJ

3 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

Yeah! I enjoyed this post thanks DJ.

Odd Chick said...

how great that we inspire each other! i think that is my favorite thing about this venue. i can't wait to try your tips!

sara's art house said...

I love those blocks! I have wanted to try some print making too....