Saturday, January 2, 2010

Three Little Words

It is the beginning of January 2010...
The number sounds especially auspicious to me this year. Like we should be making plans for world peace efforts and calculating space travel activities or throwing an international parade or something.
A new year is like a fresh new canvas, several artist bloggers have remarked. Yes, and I wonder what will be painted upon mine?
Like you, there are so many things to do in so many arenas of my life.
My list is long, and my time runs out.
Prioritize?
I wish. Hmm…Let's see:
~Seeking God’s Will would be first, to ensure everything else is successful.
~People and art would be next.
~Animals would be in there somewhere.:-)
Gee, it sounds so simple when you put it like that!
Several blogger-friends have a word to focus upon for the new year instead of resolutions.
Perhaps my word could be SIMPLIFY.
The list above is simple and seemingly stress-free. And Honey, I desperately need stress-free.
I wonder if I can simplify my work at school to alleviate stress there..?
I’m working towards simplifying things at home already.
So, for you, I'll share my Christmas preparation/cleaning method in three words:

1) Throw out. (Yes, 2 words, but more aggressive than "toss" :-)
2) Purpose.
3) Place.

“Throw out” means giving it to our local thrift store for sales that benefit our local Hospice.
“Purpose” means making sure the remaining object has a purpose for taking up precious space in my life.
“Place” means finding a place that is convenient and unobtrusive.

OK, it probably lets out the plans for space travel and an international parade but...SIMPLIFY is my word. What's yours?

Love & Laughter, (and a stress-free 2010 to all my precious blogging friends)
DJ

13 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

In the giant scheme of things our little existence is pretty petty I think. But I shall try, as I do each year, to live by my own set of rules and be true to myself - and not get too uptight about the things in the world over which I have no control. Interesting post DJ - here's to a creative 2010 and peace of mind.

Shayla said...

DJ, "simplify" is such a great word. May you get that simplicity you desire and have a wonderfully creative '10.

ArtPropelled said...

I like your word, DJ. My word is pockets. Pockets of calm, pockets of peace, pockets of tidiness, pockets of solitude, pockets of creativity ...you get my point :-)

Gary Heller said...

Fine post, DJ. I think best of all and what will apply and be valuable always are your ending sentiments "Love and laughter"
Have agreat New Year

Odd Chick said...

simplify was my word last year -but I think i'll give it another go around. i love throw out, purpose and place!

melissac said...

I saw you commenting on Mary's blog and wanted to jump over and say HI! I love the idea of simplifying because it is definitely something the Lord is telling me to do!! {{HUGS}}

Mary said...

DJ, use purge instead of throw out, then you have three "p" words!! :)

now, since I threw out all the junk, can I have some of what you are stretching your hand out for??

Oh wait, I think I have some cinnamon toast crunch!!!! Well it's something!!! :)

Wendy said...

Hi DJ :) I love your post and your New Year contemplations. Simplify....yes, what a wonderful word – I look forward to seeing the changes it brings into your life this year. I also love your idea of prioritizing...you are inspiring me to do the same!

Linda said...

Wishing you a wonderful New Year,full of Happiness and Good Health
Yes I must have a sort out too, in so many ways, Linda:)

Odd Chick said...

WOW, thank you for the observations you made about my art! IT is sooo incredibly helpful with someone with a trained and educated eye makes critique and observation. I would appreciate anything you could teach me and I have added your sight on to my regular views.

LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

Hi DJ. It is so nice to meet you and find your blog. I popped over from Mary's blog at It's A Splendid Adventure and so glad I did.

I work in the public school also. I am an Instructional Asst. in 3rd grade. Really wish I had gone to college to become an Art Teacher. I've always loved art and to create.

I became a follower so that I can check back and be inspired again.

Lee Ann

Jean said...

Hi DJ! Happy New Year!
Simplify is a VERY good word! I've been doing a lot of that over the last year or two, and it's very healing! I actually hadn't thought of a word for the year yet, so reading your post encouraged me to do some thinking...

My word for 2010 will be "Prepare." There have been some big milestones in my life recently, and I see that some prep work is needed before I move forward into a new and healthier place in life. One of the big things I'll be doing to prepare is to take some courses in art therapy! It's something I've wanted to do for many, many years, and I found a perfect match for what I was looking for.

Thanks for giving me a gentle push to be more clear with my intentions for 2010!!

All the best to you in the new year!!

Meandering Artist said...

Happy 2010 DJ
I like Marys idea of using purge. P words to counter balance the other P words.
I have not seen you around lately- I do hope all is well
Banana kisses my friend!