Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Traveling in a Strange Land


"Lady of the House" in oil on 20x16" canvas by DJ

Detail of "Lady of the House" in oil on 20x16" canvas by DJ

In my last post, I mentioned that it's been so long since my last real painting session that my studio felt "foreign." That led to my comment that it's a good thing I don't mind traveling in a strange land.
When I had a few hours this past weekend, I reacquainted myself with my easel, and this lady's face appeared. I began with a palette knife background, then surprised myself by painting her into the plane with a brush...of course, I was so pleased to see her, I got stuck and didn't go any further. I usually err on the side of simplicity, much to the experts' chagrin. But since "simplicity" is my word for 2010, I'm not bothered.
Don't you be bothered by silly critics, either, my friend. Get into that workspace and create!
Tell those voices in your head to SHUT UP! And then, go, do what your heart desires!
I'll be here to cheer you on...
Love & Laughter,
DJ

8 comments:

CountryDreaming said...

I love simplicity in painting, to the point where I'll compliment a painter on a work I see at a studio, during a workshop, or on a blog ... then get disappointed when the artist informs me, "Oh, this isn't done yet. I need to paint overtop this/smooth out the rough edges/add detail." Abstract allows me as a viewer to complete the work of the original artist with the space, freedom, and vision of my own imagination. That said, I love the mood of "Lady of the House."

Manon Doyle said...

I love her DJ! I don't think you need to go any further because she is perfect!! I adore everything about her!!

lesly said...

That is excellent advice DJ, and exactly what I need to put into practice ..... i.e. telling that little voice to 'shut up' and let the painting be!!!!

Just for a moment I thought I had 'spots before the eyes' but then I realised it was your blog doing it!

I like your lady ... she has a mysterious quality. Is she a self portrait? or is she someone from your subconscious self?

Well done. x

wetoilpaint said...

It's wonderful to read you are back at the easel. A delightful painting that hints of a DJ Mona Lisa.

巧克力 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paintings by Patricia said...

Really llike this moody portrait.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Wise words about the inner and outer critic(s).
Keep on creating.

ArtPropelled said...

Yay! She's lovely. Must be your muse.