Saturday, February 27, 2010

Saturday Complete

I returned home last Sunday to a tumultuous work-week, and I'm so glad it's done and the weekend is here. I wasn't sure if I would have any energy this weekend or not to get anything accomplished creatively, so I didn't plan on a lot of activity.
But yesterday was deemed lovely for several reasons, not the least of which was the opportunity to return to bed for extra sleep.
Around mid-day, my husband & I traveled to see our grandson and check on his little-brother-to-be. It was a cool, sunny day, and Granddaddy had a new camera to try out. The perfect recipe for walking outside and exploring the world.
After being assured that my expecting daughter-in-law and son were doing well, we took them out for steaks and enjoyed the entertainment of a 15-month-old who'd rather be exploring than sitting in a restaurant highchair. His antics included parroting mom's instructions, and testing every object put before him to see if it would bounce on the floor. (Because Daddy already taught me how to bounce a ball, and I don't know why other things don't bounce too...?)
After eating the most tender prime rib I've encountered in this life, I reluctantly kissed my family good-bye and noticed the full moon amongst tree branches near our parked cars.
We headed home to enjoy a quiet Saturday evening.
Once in the car, a student called me to excitedly share the news that he'd purchased some Copic Markers to start his collection of colors for the art he creates. I was honored that I merited such a call, and returned his excitement, making him promise to share his new color work with me as soon as possible.
Hubby and I stopped to pick up a few household supplies, then took the scenic route home, viewing the cloud-framed moon presiding over the night sky as Mona presides over the Louvre.
Riding home, I munched on a bar of chocolate purchased with the supplies, humming happily, as if I'd been given a million dollars.
Playing with my granchild, a good steak, chocolate, and a full moon.
We spoke of the day's events to remember them, and agreed that it had, indeed, been a good day. Even better, it had been a restorative day in which the stressors of the work week were pushed into the background.
Now, if I can whittle down my To-Do List, I can also carve out some time in the studio to paint.
Hoping you have time to pursue your creative interests
with Love & Laughter,
DJ

When you look up the word "sweet" in the dictionary, you'll see this pic beside it.

18 comments:

Mary said...

Hi DJ, yes he is sooo sweet! Isn't 15 months a great age!!! My sweet little grandson will be 18 months in March!!

Sounds like you had a wonderful restorative Saturday. Hope today is just as lovely for you!!

Hugs!

Manon Doyle said...

Your grandson is a doll!
Sounds like the most perfect day, DJ!! Joy is made up of little tiny moments on happiness..... you had a whole bunch of those moments!!

Debra J.Sepos said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and making a nice comment. I enjoyed looking at yours and reading the posts.

DJ said...

Mary, I hope you get to spend lots of time with your little one; those moments pass all too quickly!
Manon, You're right! It was a day of tiny moments of happiness; it makes up for days when the little string of "gnat bites" get you. Need to post on that, come to think of it; thanks!
Debra, Much continued success in your painting career. Thanks for stopping by my blog~

LeeAnn@Encouragement Is Contagious said...

She is a doll baby! So cute! I've missed you. Glad you are back.

thedomesticfringe said...

He is absolutely ADORABLE!!!!

-FringeGirl

artbyjune said...

You are so right. Very sweet and cuddable.

srzimmartist said...

Beautiful grandson!

Martha Lever said...

Yes, that is the definition of sweet for sure!!!

Judy Mackey said...

thank you!!!

Janet said...

Now that sounds like a perfectly wonderful day!

And what a little cutie your grandson is!!

ArtPropelled said...

Oh what a dear little chap .... I bet he is into everything! Glad you had a lovely day DJ.
Tell me about Copic markers some time. They had them here for a while and when I went back to get a few thay had gone and nobody knew what I was talking about. Maybe it was a dream.

Shayla said...

DJ, I loved this post. When it comes time to relax and find an activity that refreshes, I'm sometimes at a loss at what to do. Your list was a reminder of how simple things can refresh. People, food, beauty. Ah!

wetoilpaint said...

He's so perfect in every way!

Meandering Artist said...

A beautiful day for a beautiful lady!
I love that your student felt comfortable calling you to share 'art news excitement'. Chocolate tastes even better while viewing afull moon, don;t you think?
Banana kisses!

rachelsstudio.com said...

DJ - You asked me on my blog about my donation program - for every $5 you donate your name gets placed in a drawing. When I reach $500 I do the drawing and the winner gets an original from me. The money goes to needy children in the schools where I work as a school social worker. I use it for buying children who couldn't otherwise afford it the things they need to be more involved in school, whether that is shoes for dance class, money for a field trip, etc.

rachelsstudio.com said...

PS - Your grandson is SO darling!!!

Manon Doyle said...

DJ.....LOL! Ces and I have had lengthy discussions about our obsession with art supplies. Apparently.... you belong in our group!! Welcome, girlfriend, to the Artaholics Group for the Supply Obsessed!