Friday, June 7, 2013

To Have & To Hold & To Protect




I tell my graduating students that,
even if they don't make a career of art,
they must hold onto their studio time and protect that time
both to alleviate work/life stress
and to stand against naysayers who might proclaim them selfish
or doing something that seems "unimportant" to folk who would rather have their attention.

People will attempt to make you feel as if you're doing something wrong by being alone to create. "She should be cleaning her house/cooking for her family/helping Aunt Posie instead of playing around with that stuff...! "

Um, NO.

There are other ways of bringing beauty into the world. And creating also meets a need in you that helps you be happy/contented while you're doing the other stuff, which includes not being crabby while you're taking care of Aunt Posie because you know you're valuable and beautiful, even if she's complaining about the food you just prepared for her.

So, make time for your creations. And smile to your-beautiful-self while you're doing other things.

Now, go make me some art...

Love & Laughter,
DJ

4 comments:

Janet said...

This is so true. People who don't create usually don't understand the need for others to do that.

Thank you so much for the very nice comment you left on my blog!

WildC said...

I must say that I have no-one to blame but my own worst enemy when it comes to carving out my studio time. I'm doing better lately at making it a sacred thing though.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog DJ. I replied to your comment but, duh, forgot to actually hit the reply button so it didn't thread as it should, but it's there!

So nice to catch up with what you've been doing, darling!

Mary said...

Thank you for this reminder...

doforanimals said...

This really hit home with me and I couldn't agree with you more!!!